Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Whipped Shea Butter

So after ordering Whipped Shea Butter from Oyin Handmade that only lasts me about 2 weeks tops with everyday use, I decided to try my hand at making my own as a cheaper alternative. I watched a few videos on Youtube.com about the process and then I went out and bought:
- large container of 100% pure Unrefined Shea Butter
- small jar 100% pure Virgin Coconut Oil
- small bottle of 100% pure Jojoba Oil
- small bottle of 100% pure Argan Oil (I already had this on hand at home; *I used this in place of Vitamin E oil which is recommended)

I melted the Shea Butter by placing the jar in hot water until it softened (not melted), I then placed the Shea Butter in a blender and blended until it was smooth like cake batter. I then added 1 tablespoon of the Coconut Oil, 1 tablespoon of Jojoba Oil and 1 tablespoon of the Argan Oil and blended a little longer. After about 3 minutes, I placed the top part of the blender with the contents into the fridge for about a half hour. I then removed from the fridge, blended for another 2 minutes and then placed the whipped contents into a small container. The end result was a smooth cream.

This concoction can be used as a body cream or hair pomade, etc. Next time, I am going to add some essential oils for fragrance.

No comments:

Post a Comment