Wednesday, December 15, 2010

INTERVIEW WITH JAMES

PJ1: WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO GROW DREADS?
JAMES: When I was in college I had cornrows, but when it was time to graduate and get a job, I wanted a style that was more socially acceptable without having to cut my hair. I was reluctant at first, because my mother and college roommate already had locs, so I wanted my own look. I had to put that aside since I didn't want to cut it.


PJ1: HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN GROWING YOUR HAIR?
JAMES: I started growing it in 2000, I've had the locs since 2003.


PJ1: WAS YOUR TRANSITION DIFFICULT?
JAMES: Yes! My hair was already long when I started, so it didn't look too good in the very beginning. Also, I was going to a salon in Harlem where they were comb twisting it, which doesn't make for as neat a look. Now I go to a place where they palm twist, which keeps it neater and looking fresh longer.

PJ1: WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE SOME WHO IS STRUGGLING IN THEIR TRANSITION?
JAMES: 1. Stick with it. It takes a while for your hair to actually loc (it took about 4-5 months for me), but once it does you'll be happy and have the look you want.
2. Find a good location who palm rolls. When I started, I was going to the wrong place, so I wasn't happy and I came close to cutting it.


PJ1: DO YOU HAVE A SIGNATURE HAIR STYLE?
JAMES: I'm not big into styling my locs. I've only done it once. I'm a low maintenance guy, so I just keep it in a ponytail. I like to be able to just pull it back and go.


PJ1: WORKING IN CORPORATE AMERICA, DID YOU HAVE SECOND THOUGHTS ON GROWING YOUR HAIR OUT?
JAMES: I did have concerns at first, especially since they were new when I began looking for a job. Luckily, I found a place that was accepting and it hasn't been an issue.



PJ1: WHAT DO YOU DO FOR A ‘BAD HAIR DAY’?
JAMES: Because I keep it simple, I don't have bad hair days. Plus I get it done more often than most people. I workout so I sweat my hair out pretty quickly. That means getting it done every two weeks.



PJ1: DO YOU USE ANY PARTICULAR PRODUCT IN YOUR HAIR?
JAMES: I have no idea what they put in my hair lol. I know it's Indian hemp, but I'm not sure what type. Since I get it done so often I don't do any maintenance at home.


PJ1: DO YOU HAVE A PREFERENCE WHEN IT COMES TO A WOMAN’S HAIR BEING NATURAL OR RELAXED?
JAMES: Without a doubt natural. I don't know why more women don't do it. It gives them the versatility to go curly or straight on a daily basis. What man wouldn't want a woman who can do that? I love natural girls!

BEFORE LOCS

ME NOW....

No comments:

Post a Comment