Tuesday, June 28, 2011

INTERVIEW WITH FRANCESCA

PJ-1: HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN NATURAL?
FRANCESCA: I've been "natural" since the winter of 2010.  The reason I put natural in quotation marks is that I still have a slight problem of relaxing my edges, which I'm trying to stop.

PJ-1: WHY DECIDE TO GO NATURAL?
FRANCESCA: Initially I chose to become natural because I really wanted a new look, I wanted dreadlocks.

PJ-1: DID YOU DO A BIG CHOP OR TRANSITION?
FRANCESCA: I'm still in the transition mode.  I don't know when I'll bring myself to do the "big chop" because I'm not comfortable yet with short hair.

 PJ-1: WHAT DO YOU DO ON 'BAD HAIR' DAYS?
FRANCESCA: On a bad hair day I might tie a turban like scarf on my head or put a hat on.

PJ-1: DO YOU HAVE A SIGNATURE HAIR STYLE?
FRANCESCA: Yes I do, since I been going natural I normally keep my hair in Bob Marley twists or kinky twists.  I like this hairstyle because of its natural look and gives me the feeling of how I would look when I do decide to lock my hair.

PJ-1: WHAT ADVICE CAN YOU GIVE SOMEONE WHO'S STRUGGLING IN THEIR TRANSITION?
FRANCESCA: This advice is something I'm still trying to accept and use but, there will be a time where you'll feel unattractive and you want to grab the "creamy crack" and slather it on.  But, if you know you have a goal and this is what you want to do let confidence be your hairstyle on those days.

PJ-1: WHAT PRODUCT(S) ARE YOU REALLY FEELING RIGHT NOW?
FRANCESCA: I'm not too familiar with most of the products out there but right now I like this shea butter leave in conditioner.  Whenever I twist my natural hair I put a little bit of it in my hair the night before and it smells good and feels nice the next morning.  Right now I can't remember the name.

PJ-1: DO YOU SEE A DIFFERENCE IN YOUR HAIR SINCE ITS NATURAL VS WHEN IT WAS RELAXED? IF SO, WHAT?
FRANCESCA: Ha, the difference is very obvious.  My hair is stronger now, while it was relaxed I colored it a lot and that contributed to it breaking.  Now, I still like to color it but the effects aren't as harsh as when I was completely relaxed.

PJ-1: DID YOU RECEIVE NEGATIVE FEEDBACK FROM FAMILY/FRIENDS WHEN YOU DECIDED TO GO NATURAL? IF SO, HOW DID YOU DEAL WITH IT? FRANCESCA: My best friend was completely against it.  We used to go to the salon together, get our nails done together, and shop together.  But, with this new hair transition a new style sort of came with it, we still get along just the same even though we don't see eye to eye on what's fashionably "in" now.

PJ-1: I LOVE MY NATURAL HAIR BECAUSE
FRANCESCA: its a representation of me slowly getting rid of artificial things in my life.

RELAXED

I twist my hair very often too avoid "bad hair" days. No hair is bad hair though.  Oh and I look really mean in this pic, sorry.


Natural

No comments:

Post a Comment